Skip to main content

Slow Cooked Pork with Potatoes & Gravy

Well Jacqui's away back to Mexico for a bit.  The teenagers were here and it all went very well. They're nice kids, and we had a GREAT TIME :)

I also have some opinions about the state of modern Mexico that I'm dying to write about, but it's a bit to heavy for a sunday afternoon, so instead I'm gonna tell how to make something delicious.

So, lets say you've got one of those slow cookers, and you've tried a few things but it always ends up kinda-tasting-the-same.

Well, I know exactly how you feel.  I've tried several things, and usually they're OK, tasty enough, but lacking in whatever it would take to make the 6-8 hours worth it.

Until I discovered a secret.  I didn't find this anywhere on the web, but I have inferred it.

The secret with slow cooking is simplicity.  Each ingredient just adds to the mess of flavours and makes it's easier to get wrong.  It's like mixing paint.  The more colours you add, the more likely you are to come up with a horrid brown colour.

So: try this:

Pan fry some nice pork steaks.  Anything at all will do, even sausages.  Or even beef: any nice piece of meet will do. in fact, you coud leave it out entirely and go veggie.

Add the fried meat to the slow cooker.

Peel and chop some potatoes.  You want the mashing kind.  Pipers would probably be good, but whatever the supermarket recommends for mashing.  They disintegrate pleasantly :)

Add the spuds and the meat to the cooker with some salt.

Next add about a pint of gravy (use Bisto.  No, there are no alternatives.)

Let it do it's thing for 6-8 hours (basically go to bed or work or something) and you'll return to something very special.

Add some veggies on the side for serving (carrots, fried onions or sweetcorn).
Fantastic :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Older. Wiser? Wise up.

God it’s been ages since I wrote anything here. Well I’m still alive and now I have progeny! We have a son who is16 months old and a baby girl due in May. Life is good although sometimes I feel like if you don’t pay attention, you’ll suddenly find yourself in your 40’s. Or is that just me? To show my age, here are my top decade defining 90’s songs Wonderwall by Oasis Champagne Supernova by Oasis Song 2 by Blur Parklife by Blur Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve Jeremy by Pearl Jam There She Goes by The Boo Radleys Enter Sandman by Metallica Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth Common People by Pulp Agree? Disagree? See if I care...

Tlaloc strikes down apon us... or maybe is was Zeus.

So, it was a fairly normal Friday afternoon.  Seemed a little windy outside, but all in all, a fairly normal work day. Wind in Wellington is as normal as sand in the Sahara. We finished up at a normalish time, sometime after 4 and went home. As we approached the house,  I clicked the button so that the handy electric garage door would open and we could drive in and park, as normal. Nothing happened. Very strange, but we've had power cuts before so I thought it was probably just something like that.  I parked outside, and we went in to investigate.  Sure enough, there was no power.  I went to the switch board : two of the trips had been.... er... tripped? Anyway, I clicked them back, and the lights came back on.  Nice one! But our joy was short lived. As we made our way into the house we noticed a few things. The security system's little control panel was blank.  It's got a battery backup, so this was surprising.  In previous power cuts, it usually flashed &qu