Skip to main content

Arráncame la vida

Last night we attended the first night of the Hola Mexico Film Festival in Wellington.  The first movie of the season was Arráncame la vida (Tear This Heart Out), the story of a woman who marries a Mexican General in the years following the Mexican Revolution of 1910.  







I found it to be a real genre breaker as far as Mexican cinema goes.  Over the years, we've seen several Mexican movies, and the general theme seems to be heart breaking tragedy, and rarely a happy ending.  This one was different however.  Although tragedy played a huge part in the story (I don't want to give anything away, but don't get too attached to the Carlos character.  He doesn't last long..), the ending seems quite uplifting.  Well, comparatively at least.


The story starts when the protagonist is 15 years old, and being whirlwinded into a marriage with a famous (or infamous) general, twice her age.  It tracks her sexual awakening as a teenager, through to her intellectual awakening in the following years.  All this in an atmosphere where women were expected to be silent, opinionless, and stupid.  The line that bring this home is where her husband says something like "You're very sharp Catalina; very intelligent.  Almost like a man".  That for me sums up the whole point of the film. Her hands where always tied by her gender, and by the man she found herself married to.


Over the next few days, we're going to see several more movies.  I'll post more opinions later.



Comments

  1. Hi Danny,
    I recommend you the film "La Ley de Herodes", it portraits very accurate who we are. It all happens in a very small town, but the same politics apply to any large city. It's the way of thinking and acting. Even the title of the film gives a clue of how things are in Mexico. This fil should be included in all film festivals but I guess it can be very shameful for the diplomats (after all they're part of the sickness) and other organizers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine! I'll be sure to look this one up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Older. Wiser? Wise up.

God it’s been ages since I wrote anything here. Well I’m still alive and now I have progeny! We have a son who is16 months old and a baby girl due in May. Life is good although sometimes I feel like if you don’t pay attention, you’ll suddenly find yourself in your 40’s. Or is that just me? To show my age, here are my top decade defining 90’s songs Wonderwall by Oasis Champagne Supernova by Oasis Song 2 by Blur Parklife by Blur Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve Jeremy by Pearl Jam There She Goes by The Boo Radleys Enter Sandman by Metallica Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth Common People by Pulp Agree? Disagree? See if I care...

Tlaloc strikes down apon us... or maybe is was Zeus.

So, it was a fairly normal Friday afternoon.  Seemed a little windy outside, but all in all, a fairly normal work day. Wind in Wellington is as normal as sand in the Sahara. We finished up at a normalish time, sometime after 4 and went home. As we approached the house,  I clicked the button so that the handy electric garage door would open and we could drive in and park, as normal. Nothing happened. Very strange, but we've had power cuts before so I thought it was probably just something like that.  I parked outside, and we went in to investigate.  Sure enough, there was no power.  I went to the switch board : two of the trips had been.... er... tripped? Anyway, I clicked them back, and the lights came back on.  Nice one! But our joy was short lived. As we made our way into the house we noticed a few things. The security system's little control panel was blank.  It's got a battery backup, so this was surprising.  In previous power cuts, it usually flashed &qu