Skip to main content

All work and no play makes Dan a dull boy

Well, it's all been very busy at work these days.  I'm helping the very nice folks at NZQA to build their new website, and this weekend, after months of coding & hacking, it finally went live.

You can check it out (if you like) at http://www.nzqa.govt.nz.  There may still be bugs, missing pages and perhaps catastrophic crashes, but it certainly looks better and is apparently easier to use.

I did the "dynamic" pages - this is a fancy way of saying that I re-skinned the legacy pages to make them look like the rest of the site :)

There are several nice &/or interesting technologies in use back there : Silverstripe is used for CMS, and it's been interesting to see how to integrate something complex like a professional CMS with a set of legacy pages.

Anyway, mostly done now. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Older. Wiser? Wise up.

God it’s been ages since I wrote anything here. Well I’m still alive and now I have progeny! We have a son who is16 months old and a baby girl due in May. Life is good although sometimes I feel like if you don’t pay attention, you’ll suddenly find yourself in your 40’s. Or is that just me? To show my age, here are my top decade defining 90’s songs Wonderwall by Oasis Champagne Supernova by Oasis Song 2 by Blur Parklife by Blur Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve Jeremy by Pearl Jam There She Goes by The Boo Radleys Enter Sandman by Metallica Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth Common People by Pulp Agree? Disagree? See if I care...

Sin Nombre

On Saturday, we had a very busy day. We saw a grand total of 3 Mexican films. The first one (Otra Pelicula de Huevos y un pollo) was an animated comedy featuring talking eggs & a chicken , and to be honest, I think you have to be Mexican to get most of the jokes.  I was in a row with several Mexican people who where practically doubled over laughing when one of the eggs said something which I though was about 15% funny. Oh well, I guess it was entertaining enough.  I liked the animation & appreciated the very high production quality. The second (Los Herederos) was a documentary about kids living in rural Mexico .  I found this to be a very powerful film.  It contained very little actual dialog - it mostly showed this kids working hard.  Damn hard -  expected to work as hard as the adults from a very early age.  I'll not go into much detail - I reckon anyone who has an interest in Mexico should see it for themselves. The last one (Sin Nombre) was by far the best of the