Skip to main content

Revolt of the Mannequins

This past week, Wellington has been host to La Révolte des Mannequin.

La Revolt des Mannequin, or The Revolt of the Mannequins, is a set of French art installations.  Around the town, several shop fronts are installed with Mannequins posed and doing various things.

Each day, they appear shifted to a new pose, giving the impression that they're moving. And thus a story is told.

There where ten of them in the CBD area, but the first that caught my attention was called Nightmare of the Puddle and featured a man enjoying a drink on the first day.  But as the days progressed, the man appeared to be melting form the feet down, forming a large puddle of plastic.

By the end, he had practically disappeared completely, and a cleaning lady was mopping up the remains into a blue plastic bucket.  On the last day, she throws the contents of the bucket at the window.

Another excellent one wasn't hosted in one shop.  It was called the Inspector and the Sniper.  It featured a sniper located at various places during the week, picking off "normal" mannequins in the shops.  He'd shoot them in the head, and the following day the inspector would be there, looking like Columbo.

As the week progressed, it ended with the inspector finally catching the sniper.  On the last day, we find both in a car.  I assume it's the police car, and the guy has been arrested...?

Pretty cool!

The rest are completely different and equally bizzare.  More so in fact.

There was, however, one part of the affair that pissed the hell out of me.
One of the displays had been progressing day by day until the day before the last day.  We went along to see what was happening, to be told that the owner of the building had arrived home and decided he didn't like the thing in the shop, and demanded it be removed.

What a dick. 

What harm could it possibly do to his business?  It did nothing but encourage more people to come into the shop!  I don't know, people like this piss me off.  I hope he had an excellent reason, cus all he really managed to do was to piss folks off.

oh well, apart from that it was excellent :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Older. Wiser? Wise up.

God it’s been ages since I wrote anything here. Well I’m still alive and now I have progeny! We have a son who is16 months old and a baby girl due in May. Life is good although sometimes I feel like if you don’t pay attention, you’ll suddenly find yourself in your 40’s. Or is that just me? To show my age, here are my top decade defining 90’s songs Wonderwall by Oasis Champagne Supernova by Oasis Song 2 by Blur Parklife by Blur Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve Jeremy by Pearl Jam There She Goes by The Boo Radleys Enter Sandman by Metallica Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth Common People by Pulp Agree? Disagree? See if I care...

Sin Nombre

On Saturday, we had a very busy day. We saw a grand total of 3 Mexican films. The first one (Otra Pelicula de Huevos y un pollo) was an animated comedy featuring talking eggs & a chicken , and to be honest, I think you have to be Mexican to get most of the jokes.  I was in a row with several Mexican people who where practically doubled over laughing when one of the eggs said something which I though was about 15% funny. Oh well, I guess it was entertaining enough.  I liked the animation & appreciated the very high production quality. The second (Los Herederos) was a documentary about kids living in rural Mexico .  I found this to be a very powerful film.  It contained very little actual dialog - it mostly showed this kids working hard.  Damn hard -  expected to work as hard as the adults from a very early age.  I'll not go into much detail - I reckon anyone who has an interest in Mexico should see it for themselves. The last one (Sin Nombre) was by far the best of the