Skip to main content

Sevens

This is the NZI Sevens weekend here in Sunny Wellington.

Jacqui and I didn't manage to get tickets - by the time I'd remembered to log on to the website, they were all long sold out.  Apparently they were all gone within 3 minutes, so I don't feel so bad.

It would have been great to have gone to the actual tournament, but since that wasn't possible, we went into the city to bask in the ambiance.

And we're glad we did!  The whole city was out, and I don't think much work was done!

The whole point of the Seven's weekend is, surprisingly, completely unrelated to rugby. Rather, it's about being seen in your outfit.  And every year, the outfits get a bit crazier.

This year the costumes included, but where not limited to:

  • Oompa-Loompas
  • Avatars
  • Fairies
  • SWAT team members
  • Cavemen (and cave women)
  • Synchronised swimmers
  • Baywatchers
  • Blues Brothers
  • Mexicans

Also, everyone was either drunk or crazy.  Many were, in fact, both.
Jacqui got hugged by random strangers more times that I can remember.  One tried to talk to me. He said "o hoi ther mate, imframcurk!".   At first I had no idea what this meant, and assumed he was crazy and drunk.  But then he said it again, slower, and I understood that what he was actually trying to portray was that he was from Cork, so that was cool.

There's a place where a bar with a balcony overlooks the way from one end of the city to the stadium.  It's not the only way, but since it's along the waterfront, everyone goes that way.

So the balcony is temporary home to perhaps 150 young fellas wearing Mexican wrestling outfits, super hero costumes and various other insane disguises.

On the way though one of their members waits.  And when suitable people come by, he stops them and asks if they'll accept his challenge.  And it's simple : if you're a boy, you have to take off your kit and jump in the water.  If you a girl, well;  "Get your t*ts out for the boys".

Some did, some didn't, most said "f*ck off!"or words to that effect.  I guess if it had been later and the passers-by had been 25% drunker, the result might have been very different!

Anyway - here's a selection of photos from the day:

Ozzie Life savers.  


Not sure, but I think they're seventies rock stars.


Mexicans (I guess...)

Super Marios

5,4,3,2,1... Thunderbirds are Go!!

Prisoners

More Mexicans.  When Jacqui told them "I'm really from Mexico!" they replied "So are we!!"

Darth Vader and a Clone ( I think )

Chicken Man!

These guys do an excellent version of Kiss.  Maybe it's really Gene Simmons?

This is the balcony I was telling you about.

These guys where the ones propositioning the people as they walked past.

We fully expected to see Avatars this year.  So here are some.

SWAT Team.  Looked pretty authentic! Unless they were real too?

Ooompa-Loompa having a fag.

Synchronised Swimming team...

In they go.  How graceful!

..And after.

The elderly lady had to hold still while some Pamplona bull runners dash past..


..And here's the big scary bull...


It's the Jamaican Bobsleigh Team (mon)

Little Plastic Soldiers

African Warriors. And Spider-man.

Isn't she looovellyyyy...




I reckon that'll do for the spectators.  I have very little knowledge of the rugby.  We watched about 4 matches, and apart from New Zealand doing very well (apparently), I don't remember much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooked Pork with Potatoes & Gravy

Well Jacqui's away back to Mexico for a bit.  The teenagers were here and it all went very well. They're nice kids, and we had a GREAT TIME :) I also have some opinions about the state of modern Mexico that I'm dying to write about, but it's a bit to heavy for a sunday afternoon, so instead I'm gonna tell how to make something delicious. So, lets say you've got one of those slow cookers, and you've tried a few things but it always ends up kinda-tasting-the-same. Well, I know exactly how you feel.  I've tried several things, and usually they're OK, tasty enough, but lacking in whatever it would take to make the 6-8 hours worth it. Until I discovered a secret.  I didn't find this anywhere on the web, but I have inferred it. The secret with slow cooking is simplicity.  Each ingredient just adds to the mess of flavours and makes it's easier to get wrong.  It's like mixing paint.  The more colours you add, the more likely you are to ...

All work and no play makes Dan a dull boy

Well, it's all been very busy at work these days.  I'm helping the very nice folks at NZQA to build their new website, and this weekend, after months of coding & hacking, it finally went live. You can check it out (if you like) at http://www.nzqa.govt.nz .  There may still be bugs, missing pages and perhaps catastrophic crashes, but it certainly looks better and is apparently easier to use. I did the "dynamic" pages - this is a fancy way of saying that I re-skinned the legacy pages to make them look like the rest of the site :) There are several nice &/or interesting technologies in use back there : Silverstripe is used for CMS, and it's been interesting to see how to integrate something complex like a professional CMS with a set of legacy pages. Anyway, mostly done now. 

Guitar Completed... more or less...

I finally got the guitar finished.  I'm sure you'll remember that one I bought in a local auction shortly before Christmas? I finally got it wired up, screw together and stringed.  I plugged it in and was more than a little amazed to find that it actually worked!  It's actually feels nice to play, and looks pretty too. It also has buckets of tone and I would imagine would make a nice blues guitar. However, it's not perfect as yet. There appears to be something of an annoying hum,  but I think with some additional shielding and grounding, it'll be fine.  And it's a fairly well known issue with strats anyway. Also, the neck pickup appears not to work.  Not sure why - it appears to be correctly wired.  No problems though.  I very rarely use that pickup anyway. And lastly, the scratch plate doesn't really fit.  The body isn't exactly a strat shape, just very similar.  I think it looks quirky, so I don't mind :) Check it o...