Skip to main content

Sevens

This is the NZI Sevens weekend here in Sunny Wellington.

Jacqui and I didn't manage to get tickets - by the time I'd remembered to log on to the website, they were all long sold out.  Apparently they were all gone within 3 minutes, so I don't feel so bad.

It would have been great to have gone to the actual tournament, but since that wasn't possible, we went into the city to bask in the ambiance.

And we're glad we did!  The whole city was out, and I don't think much work was done!

The whole point of the Seven's weekend is, surprisingly, completely unrelated to rugby. Rather, it's about being seen in your outfit.  And every year, the outfits get a bit crazier.

This year the costumes included, but where not limited to:

  • Oompa-Loompas
  • Avatars
  • Fairies
  • SWAT team members
  • Cavemen (and cave women)
  • Synchronised swimmers
  • Baywatchers
  • Blues Brothers
  • Mexicans

Also, everyone was either drunk or crazy.  Many were, in fact, both.
Jacqui got hugged by random strangers more times that I can remember.  One tried to talk to me. He said "o hoi ther mate, imframcurk!".   At first I had no idea what this meant, and assumed he was crazy and drunk.  But then he said it again, slower, and I understood that what he was actually trying to portray was that he was from Cork, so that was cool.

There's a place where a bar with a balcony overlooks the way from one end of the city to the stadium.  It's not the only way, but since it's along the waterfront, everyone goes that way.

So the balcony is temporary home to perhaps 150 young fellas wearing Mexican wrestling outfits, super hero costumes and various other insane disguises.

On the way though one of their members waits.  And when suitable people come by, he stops them and asks if they'll accept his challenge.  And it's simple : if you're a boy, you have to take off your kit and jump in the water.  If you a girl, well;  "Get your t*ts out for the boys".

Some did, some didn't, most said "f*ck off!"or words to that effect.  I guess if it had been later and the passers-by had been 25% drunker, the result might have been very different!

Anyway - here's a selection of photos from the day:

Ozzie Life savers.  


Not sure, but I think they're seventies rock stars.


Mexicans (I guess...)

Super Marios

5,4,3,2,1... Thunderbirds are Go!!

Prisoners

More Mexicans.  When Jacqui told them "I'm really from Mexico!" they replied "So are we!!"

Darth Vader and a Clone ( I think )

Chicken Man!

These guys do an excellent version of Kiss.  Maybe it's really Gene Simmons?

This is the balcony I was telling you about.

These guys where the ones propositioning the people as they walked past.

We fully expected to see Avatars this year.  So here are some.

SWAT Team.  Looked pretty authentic! Unless they were real too?

Ooompa-Loompa having a fag.

Synchronised Swimming team...

In they go.  How graceful!

..And after.

The elderly lady had to hold still while some Pamplona bull runners dash past..


..And here's the big scary bull...


It's the Jamaican Bobsleigh Team (mon)

Little Plastic Soldiers

African Warriors. And Spider-man.

Isn't she looovellyyyy...




I reckon that'll do for the spectators.  I have very little knowledge of the rugby.  We watched about 4 matches, and apart from New Zealand doing very well (apparently), I don't remember much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Older. Wiser? Wise up.

God it’s been ages since I wrote anything here. Well I’m still alive and now I have progeny! We have a son who is16 months old and a baby girl due in May. Life is good although sometimes I feel like if you don’t pay attention, you’ll suddenly find yourself in your 40’s. Or is that just me? To show my age, here are my top decade defining 90’s songs Wonderwall by Oasis Champagne Supernova by Oasis Song 2 by Blur Parklife by Blur Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve Jeremy by Pearl Jam There She Goes by The Boo Radleys Enter Sandman by Metallica Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth Common People by Pulp Agree? Disagree? See if I care...

Tlaloc strikes down apon us... or maybe is was Zeus.

So, it was a fairly normal Friday afternoon.  Seemed a little windy outside, but all in all, a fairly normal work day. Wind in Wellington is as normal as sand in the Sahara. We finished up at a normalish time, sometime after 4 and went home. As we approached the house,  I clicked the button so that the handy electric garage door would open and we could drive in and park, as normal. Nothing happened. Very strange, but we've had power cuts before so I thought it was probably just something like that.  I parked outside, and we went in to investigate.  Sure enough, there was no power.  I went to the switch board : two of the trips had been.... er... tripped? Anyway, I clicked them back, and the lights came back on.  Nice one! But our joy was short lived. As we made our way into the house we noticed a few things. The security system's little control panel was blank.  It's got a battery backup, so this was surprising.  In previous power cuts, it usually flashed &qu