Skip to main content

Science & Libel

There's been quite a lot of talk in the media recently about the relationship between Science, Libel Law, Alternative Medicine and Evidence.  It's mostly in relation to the experiences of Simon Singh and others who have been sued in the UK for saying things like:
The British Chiropractic Association claims that their members can help treat children with colic, sleeping and feeding problems, frequent ear infections, asthma and prolonged crying, even though there is not a jot of evidence.
The Chiropractic Association in the UK took great offence at this for reasons I can't comprehend and decided to sue Dr Singh for rather a large sum of money.

Now, here's what I think about this. First there really is little or no evidence that chiropractic is any better than physiotherapy for treating back pain.  In fact, there appears to be real evidence that it's less effective (and in some rare cases, dangerous).  Further, many unscrupulous chiropractors claim that their treatments can be used for those with asthma, and for this there is zero evidence.  Simon Singh was only stating this as fact (which it is) and for him to be sued seems shameful.

Libel laws in the UK (and other countries) should not be used as a forum for settling scientific matters.  When this sort of claim is made is the media, the truth of the claim should be taken into account. If shown to be baseless accusation, then libel action may be appropriate.  But in cases where the claim made holds water, no libel case should be possible.

Anyway - chiropractic is basically ineffective.

I've had several experiences here in NZ where people have recommended to my partner that she should try it : "Oh, it worked for me" and "My friend had fabulous success with it" and yada yada like that.

Remember : personal experience is not evidence. Scientists call this anecdotal or testimonial evidence, and although it can be compelling, it has little value for showing the effectiveness of a medical treatment.

For example - if someone has a very sore back for some reason and saw a chiropractor, how would they know that it was the chiropractic treatment that made them feel better?  How could they know for sure that they wouldn't have got better anyway? Perhaps the 20 minute walk to the office was more helpful?  Or the physiotherapy they received? Or the type of milk they were drinking?  Or the weather? There are so many variables when looking at a single person, that individual experience is never used when testing medical treatment.

When testing treatments, scientists use Double Blind studies, where as much as possible, these sorts of unknown entities are statistically removed.  When we double blind test chiropractic, we find that it barely work at all, and certainly doesn't help with any non-back related issues.

I suggest you read the Wikipedia article on Chiropractic.  It shows the evidence for what it's actually good for (actually very little).  I also suggest you check out the Skepdic page on the subject.

While you're at it, add your support to the Libel Reform campaign.  It doesn't matter if you're not based in the UK.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All work and no play makes Dan a dull boy

Well, it's all been very busy at work these days.  I'm helping the very nice folks at NZQA to build their new website, and this weekend, after months of coding & hacking, it finally went live. You can check it out (if you like) at http://www.nzqa.govt.nz .  There may still be bugs, missing pages and perhaps catastrophic crashes, but it certainly looks better and is apparently easier to use. I did the "dynamic" pages - this is a fancy way of saying that I re-skinned the legacy pages to make them look like the rest of the site :) There are several nice &/or interesting technologies in use back there : Silverstripe is used for CMS, and it's been interesting to see how to integrate something complex like a professional CMS with a set of legacy pages. Anyway, mostly done now. 

Slow Cooked Pork with Potatoes & Gravy

Well Jacqui's away back to Mexico for a bit.  The teenagers were here and it all went very well. They're nice kids, and we had a GREAT TIME :) I also have some opinions about the state of modern Mexico that I'm dying to write about, but it's a bit to heavy for a sunday afternoon, so instead I'm gonna tell how to make something delicious. So, lets say you've got one of those slow cookers, and you've tried a few things but it always ends up kinda-tasting-the-same. Well, I know exactly how you feel.  I've tried several things, and usually they're OK, tasty enough, but lacking in whatever it would take to make the 6-8 hours worth it. Until I discovered a secret.  I didn't find this anywhere on the web, but I have inferred it. The secret with slow cooking is simplicity.  Each ingredient just adds to the mess of flavours and makes it's easier to get wrong.  It's like mixing paint.  The more colours you add, the more likely you are to ...

Guitar Completed... more or less...

I finally got the guitar finished.  I'm sure you'll remember that one I bought in a local auction shortly before Christmas? I finally got it wired up, screw together and stringed.  I plugged it in and was more than a little amazed to find that it actually worked!  It's actually feels nice to play, and looks pretty too. It also has buckets of tone and I would imagine would make a nice blues guitar. However, it's not perfect as yet. There appears to be something of an annoying hum,  but I think with some additional shielding and grounding, it'll be fine.  And it's a fairly well known issue with strats anyway. Also, the neck pickup appears not to work.  Not sure why - it appears to be correctly wired.  No problems though.  I very rarely use that pickup anyway. And lastly, the scratch plate doesn't really fit.  The body isn't exactly a strat shape, just very similar.  I think it looks quirky, so I don't mind :) Check it o...