Skip to main content

Road Trip Part 2

Cathedral Cove set the bar very high it has to be said.  When we got back to our cars, we discovered that we were mostly hungry, so the consensus was reached that we should try to find somewhere to eat.  


So, we followed Tom, who thought he knew of a suitable place to eat.  However, this turned out to be a Ferry port (end of the road) and we had no notion of where to go next.


It was starting to get late by this point, but since we had the tent in the boot, we weren't that worried.


I switched on my tomtom to see if it knew of any good places to eat nearby.  It did : claimed that the closest place was a little cafe/restaurant.  I gave them a call, and they told me that the kitchen would be open for another half an hour.  Excellent!


I programmed the GPS and off we went.  10 minutes later, we still weren't near the place.  Strange.
The tomtom now claimed that what had started as a 10 minutes drive had 30 minutes left to go.  Very Strange.


We wanted to call Tom & Alfa to see what we should do next, but there was no mobile coverage in the area!  And road didn't feel safe to stop.  Holy crap!


Eventually, they decided to turn back.  Later we would learn that they got very lost after that.  I have since told tom that really, he needs to get a GPS thingy.  They're not super expensive these days, and the money you save on petrol means it pays for itself very quickly. But I digress.


We found ourselves in the small town of Whitianga, which seemed to be gearing up for New Years Eve. Hundred of teenages, and not a single free hotel room in the town. At least, not in the 6 or 7 places we called.


One guy recommended leaving the town entirely and trying somewhere less touristy.  Excellent advice!  Back to Thames!


So, we're parked on the main street in Thames an hour later.  it's after midnight by now, and both of our phones are down to less than 10% battery left.  I have a list of 6 motels & hotels in the area, but probably only enough power for 3 more calls.  I chose the first.  A man answers, and tells me that they have no rooms left.


The second tells me pretty much the same, only they sound ruder.


The third answers : "ug".


Me: "Hi : sorry for the time.  I was wondering if you had any rooms available at your motel?"
Person: "Eugh.  Bleh?  Huh.  Um."
Me: "Room?  Motel?  Tonight?"
Person: "Oh.  yes, I see,  Ugh, lemme see, uhhh... Yes, I have one room left.  Are you close by?"
Me: "Yes!  Just around the corner!"
Person: "I'll let you in.  Give me a few minutes."
Me: "Wow! Thanks thanks!  Wow!"


A few minutes later, we pull into the motel.  The carpark was almost full, but there is one spot.  We see a tired looking lady in a pink dressing gown standing at the office door.  I jump out, and have to restrain myself from giving her a big hug!  Jacqui and I are both exhausted, and ready to sleep pretty much anywhere.


We get the keys, and make our way to literally the last room anywhere in a 200 mile radius.  Probably.


Not that it would have mattered, but the little motel room was clean, comfortable and even had tea and coffee facilities.  


Of course the next problem was that we hadn't eaten in 8 hours. A quick survey revealed that the only food we had was:
1) A box of dunkin' donuts that we bought in Auckland the previous day (present for friends back in Wellington)
2) half packet of crisps
3) quarter packet of chewing gum.


Therefore, that is how we ended our evening sitting in a motel room in Thames, eating donuts & crisps drinking tea.


I never slept to well in all my life :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Older. Wiser? Wise up.

God it’s been ages since I wrote anything here. Well I’m still alive and now I have progeny! We have a son who is16 months old and a baby girl due in May. Life is good although sometimes I feel like if you don’t pay attention, you’ll suddenly find yourself in your 40’s. Or is that just me? To show my age, here are my top decade defining 90’s songs Wonderwall by Oasis Champagne Supernova by Oasis Song 2 by Blur Parklife by Blur Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve Jeremy by Pearl Jam There She Goes by The Boo Radleys Enter Sandman by Metallica Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth Common People by Pulp Agree? Disagree? See if I care...

Sin Nombre

On Saturday, we had a very busy day. We saw a grand total of 3 Mexican films. The first one (Otra Pelicula de Huevos y un pollo) was an animated comedy featuring talking eggs & a chicken , and to be honest, I think you have to be Mexican to get most of the jokes.  I was in a row with several Mexican people who where practically doubled over laughing when one of the eggs said something which I though was about 15% funny. Oh well, I guess it was entertaining enough.  I liked the animation & appreciated the very high production quality. The second (Los Herederos) was a documentary about kids living in rural Mexico .  I found this to be a very powerful film.  It contained very little actual dialog - it mostly showed this kids working hard.  Damn hard -  expected to work as hard as the adults from a very early age.  I'll not go into much detail - I reckon anyone who has an interest in Mexico should see it for themselves. The last one (Sin Nombre) was by far the best of the