Skip to main content

The English 'language'

It's only when trying to learn another language (I'm determined to improve my Spanish)  that I've noticed how ridiculous English is.
I'm sure there's hundreds of examples of this, but the one which has been keeping me occupied today is this.

Let think about the following phrases :

I open the door.
I am opening the door.

I opened the door.
I will open the door.

All makes good sence.  The first two are in the present tense - the first being the simple present tense and the second the present progressive.  The thrid is simple past tense, the fourth is simple future.  Of course there are lots of other tenses, but that will do for my example.

Let's see what happens when we want to negate these phrases.

I don't open the door.
I am not opening the door.
I did not open the door
I will not open the door.

Some of these are sensible.  The future tense makes good sence.  We simply put a "not" after the will. The second also works well : put a "not" after the "I am".  I like the idea of putting a not after the verb to suggest negation. This is essentially how latin languages like Spanish do it : they put 'no' in front of the verb.

So, why can't I say "I open not the door" or "I opened not the door".  These seem to me to make better grammatical sense (and I suspect may once have been used. they sound kind of archaic).  Why it the verb "to do" in there?  When was it decided that we need to introduce this verb into our sentences?

Why do we use the past emphatic to negate simple past tense phrases?  Answers on a postcard....  Or just type a comment :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Older. Wiser? Wise up.

God it’s been ages since I wrote anything here. Well I’m still alive and now I have progeny! We have a son who is16 months old and a baby girl due in May. Life is good although sometimes I feel like if you don’t pay attention, you’ll suddenly find yourself in your 40’s. Or is that just me? To show my age, here are my top decade defining 90’s songs Wonderwall by Oasis Champagne Supernova by Oasis Song 2 by Blur Parklife by Blur Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve Jeremy by Pearl Jam There She Goes by The Boo Radleys Enter Sandman by Metallica Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth Common People by Pulp Agree? Disagree? See if I care...

Sin Nombre

On Saturday, we had a very busy day. We saw a grand total of 3 Mexican films. The first one (Otra Pelicula de Huevos y un pollo) was an animated comedy featuring talking eggs & a chicken , and to be honest, I think you have to be Mexican to get most of the jokes.  I was in a row with several Mexican people who where practically doubled over laughing when one of the eggs said something which I though was about 15% funny. Oh well, I guess it was entertaining enough.  I liked the animation & appreciated the very high production quality. The second (Los Herederos) was a documentary about kids living in rural Mexico .  I found this to be a very powerful film.  It contained very little actual dialog - it mostly showed this kids working hard.  Damn hard -  expected to work as hard as the adults from a very early age.  I'll not go into much detail - I reckon anyone who has an interest in Mexico should see it for themselves. The last one (Sin Nombre) was by far the best of the